Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (3.3 MB)
- Cover and Contents (62 kb)
- Preliminary Report on the First Campaign for the Preservation and Study of the Mural Paintings in the Royal Palace of Bhaktapur (806 kb, 1-16)
- Excavation in the Kathmandu Valley (1.2 MB, 17-30)
author: Chiara Silvi Antonini and Giovanni Verardi
- Report on the Monuments of Northern Nepal (continued): Monuments of Nuwakot District (62 kb, 31-32)
author: Corneille Jest
- Nepal (continued) (94 kb, 33-34)
author: Sylvain Levi
- जंगबहादुरप्रति दगा र गोठू बस्नेतको अवज्ञा (830, 1-17)
author: ज्ञानमणि नेपाल
- प्रधानमन्त्री जंगबहादुर राणाका समयको नेपाल-भोट युद्धका ऐतिहासिक सामग्री (गताङ्कको बाँकी) (185 kb, 18-21)
- ऐितहासिक पत्रस्तम्भ (36 kb, 22)
- About the Authors (49 kb)