Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (3.2 MB)
- Cover and Contents (110 kb)
- Preliminary Report On the Northern Regions' Cultural Heritage (1.3 MB, 1-18)
author: Corneille Jest, Tej Ratna Tamrakar, and Vishnu Ranjit
- From Hunting-Gathering to Food Production: A Brief Look on Impact of Early Man's Shift to Farming (312 kb, 19-26)
author: Prem K. Khatry
- Nepal (continued), Two Months in Nepal, January-March 1898 (73 kb, 27-28)
author: Sylvain Levi
- राजा नृपेन्द्रमल्लको भूमिसम्बन्धी तमसूक ताडपत्र (82 kb, 1-2)
author: श्यामसुन्दर राजवंशी
- नेपालमा करिया मोचन (557 kb, 3-13)
author: होमप्रसाद 'गृहस्थी'
- प्रधानमंत्री जंगबहादुर राणाका समयका नेपाल-भोट युद्धका ऐतिहासिक सामग्री (गताङ्कको बाँकी) (696 kb, 14-28)
- ऐतिहासिक पत्र-स्तम्भ (85 kb, 29-30)
- About the Authors (66 kb)