Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (92 MB)
- Cover and Contents (2.5 MB)
- A Few Words on Archaeological and Archival Research in Southern Mustang (2.2 MB, 1-4)
author: Khadga Man Shrestha
- Investigations in the History of the Muktinath Valley and Adjacent Areas (39 MB, 5-54)
author: Dr. Dieter Schuh
- Role of the Bhaladmis in the Management of Local Affairs in Southern Mustang in the 19th and 20th Centuries (10 MB, 55-74)
author: Mr. M. L. Karmacharya
- Wild Life in Ancient Khingar, Mustang (9.9 MB, 75-94)
author: Dr. Angela von den Driesch
- Excavation at Garab-Dzong, Dist. Mustang Preliminary report of the campaign 1994 (5.9 MB, 95-106)
author: Dr. Ernst Pohl and Mr. Chandra Prasad Tripathee
- Dead and Living Settlements in the Shöyul of Mustang (14 MB, 107-130)
author: Dr. Charles Ramble and Dr. Christian Seeber
- Short Remarks on the Caves at Tabo in Spiti (7.4 MB, 131-138)
author: Dr. Christoph Cüppers
- About the Authors (423 kb)