Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (3 MB)
- Cover and Contents (123 kb)
- The Stupa of Bodhnath: A Preliminary Analysis of the Written Sources (445 kb, 1-9)
author: Franz-Karl Ehrhard
- Chortens (mchod-rten) in Humla, Observations on the variation of a building type in north-western Nepal in May 1990 (620 kb, 10-21)
author: Niels Gutschow
- वैष्णव धर्मको इतिहास र फर्पिङका शिखरनारायण (598 kb, 1-13)
author: उद्धव आचार्य
- सिद्ध मीननाथ (334 kb, 14-20)
author: डा. राजाराम सुवेदी
- लिच्छविकालीन श्रीराजविहारको स्थापना काल (168 kb, 21-24)
author: शङकरमान राजवंशी
- प्रधानमन्त्री जंगबहादुर राणाका समयको नेपाल-भोट युद्धको ऐतिहासिक सामग्री (गताङ्कको बाँकी) (812 kb, 25-40)
- About the Authors (57 kb)