Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (3.4 MB)
- Cover and Contents (155 kb)
- A Renovation of Svayambhunath-Stupa in the 18th Century and its History (according to Tibetan sources) (459 kb, 1-8)
author: Franz-Karl Ehrhard
- Nepalese Thakali at Gyantse (1905-1938) (429 kb, 9-17)
author: Dr. Tirtha Prasad Mishra
- An Ethno-Archaeological Investigation into Irrigation Agriculture and Water Systems in Mid-Western Nepal (continued) (310 kb, 18-23)
author: Thomas M. C. Pinhorn
- Nepal (continued) (949 kb, 24-40)
author: Sylvain Levi
- वंशावली र वंशावलीहरू (387 kb, 1-7)
author: डा. जगदीशचन्द्र रेग्मी
- बोडे (धर्मपुर) को ऐतिहासिकता (416 kb, 8-15)
author: सुश्री सुलोचना चित्रकार
- स्वेष्ट (इष्ट) देवता तलेजु र मानेश्वरी (308 kb, 16-20)
author: लीलाभक्त मुनंकर्मी
- प्रधानमन्त्री जंगबहादुर राणाका समयको नेपाल-भोट युद्धको ऐतिहासिक सामग्री (गताङ्कको बाँकी) (86 kb, 21-22)
- About the Authors (70 kb)