Published by the Department of Archaeology in Kathmandu, Nepal, Ancient Nepal (प्राचीन नेपाल) is a journal devoted to pre-history and field archaeology in the Himalayas. Special interests include epigraphy, manuscripts, numismatics, archives, art, anthropology, architecture and museum studies. Contributions should be concise and based on hitherto unpublished data, and sent to the Director General of the Department of Archaeology.
The journal dates from October 1967 and is still soliciting contributions. The following index of the titles and authors of the Nepali articles was prepared by staff at Madan
Puraskar Pustakalya (MPP) in Kathmandu. Please note that the unevenness in
the naming and page numbering of certain articles reflects inconsistencies in
the original journal.
On account of the compression format we have used for the PDF files, we advise that you install the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat which can be downloaded by clicking here. Please send us a short email to say whether this service is of interest and utility to you. Feedback will determine whether we proceed with the digitisation of other journals of Himalayan studies.
- Full Download (2.9 MB)
- Cover and Contents (121 kb)
- An Ethno-Archaeological Investigation into Irrigation Agriculture and Water Systems in Mid-Western Nepal (232 kb, 1-5)
author: Thomas M. C. Pinhorn
- The Royal Devotion to Deity Taleju (236 kb, 6-9)
author: Sushila Manandhar
- Nepal (continued) (171 kb, 10-14)
author: Sylvain Levi
- इतिहास लेख्ने परम्परा र नेपालवृत (475 kb, 1-10)
author: ज्ञानमणि नेपाल
- भगवान् रुद्र-शिवका वाहनहरू (178 kb, 11-14)
author: हरिराम जोशी
- नेपालको १.१ करोड वर्षअघिको रामनरवानर-नेपिथेकस्को सन्दर्भमा आदिमानवको उद्गम र उद्गमस्थल (गताङ्कको बाँकी) (677 kb, 15-29)
author: केदारनाथ प्रधान
- तान्त्रिक आधारमा नवदुर्गा नाचको शुरुवात (584 kb, 30-41)
author: पुरुषोत्तमलोचन श्रेष्ठ
- प्रधानमन्त्री जंगबहादुर राणाका समयको नेपाल-भोट युद्धको ऐतिहासिक सामग्री (गताङ्कको बाँकी) (323 kb, 42-48)
- About the Authors (60 kb)